Nowadays online learning( virtual learning )has become a talk of the town. All the schools, colleges and educational institutions are closed due to covid -19 pandemic for the last few months. To avoid the educational losses of the students , most of the governments all over the world and education providers have taken initiative to start online classes of students right from kindergarten to degree students.
Technology especially information technology has proved a boon during this time as it has provided very useful, sound ,reliable ,effective and alternative platform to physical teaching- learning process in educational institutions. Everywhere online classes are going on.
We have got very handy platforms like YouTube ,Facebook , Google meet, Microsoft teams ,zoom meetings ,whats app video calls and many more. Even these platforms are useful for the virtual meetings of almost all the sectors including government, private businesses, companies ,offices ,marketing firms ,traders and many more.
So let’s see what is online learning and teaching ,its definition ,types, various platforms available to conduct ,its advantages and disadvantages ,pros cons ,boons curses, benefits- losses and how they have become the need of the time in detail.
1)Nature and definition of online learning and teaching—
Online learning and teaching is the process carried out over internet based platforms like Google meet, Microsoft teams ,zoom meetings, you tube etc. Teachers and students are not present face to face but connected by internet based platform and through them education process goes on. It is also called as e-learning or virtual learning.
Actually this is not a new concept. Online learning has been going on for a long time through internet. Earlier before the beginning of pandemic it was not used widely popular and practiced But it was there .
The tremendous outbreak of covid-19 pandemic has given rise to the use of online learning -teaching platforms. It has become really impossible and dangerous for teachers and students to come face to face all over the world in schools and colleges. That is the reason why online learning and teaching process has been started and promoted all over the world.
2)Types of online learning-
There are different types of online learning programs available such as self learning, school college learning , online courses ,YouTube learning and learning through educational apps and programs. let’s know more about them in short.
1) Self learning—
We can learn so many new things available in the forms of videos and courses on YouTube and various websites. It is called as self learning. There is no age limit for this kind of learning and no direct contact and interaction with the teacher or guide . We can do it as per our convenience.
2) School and college online teaching learning process—
This is the most important factor in this present situation going on in the field of online education. We can’t imagine education without physical presence in the schools and colleges but restrictions caused by lockdown have given rice to online teaching- learning platforms like Google meet, Microsoft teams ,zoom meetings, You tube.
They have made us believe that education can take place online almost like it was in schools and colleges. Though these platforms have teething troubles ,they are doing a very good job of providing education and keeping students away from infection. Most of the schools and colleges have started their formal education of each class through online platforms and and all of them have become largely successful.For online learning android mobile and headphones are necessary.
3) Online courses—
There are so many websites, institutions and even Universities providing various online courses as a part of distance learning program.
4) YouTube learning—
YouTube has achieved the status of second biggest search engine after Google search. There are variety of courses ,videos tutorials and individual stories to learn on YouTube . Many schools and colleges have started their YouTube channels for providing online learning to their students. We can search the topics we want to learn there and we will get variety of options to learn them on YouTube.
Even the likes, comments,shares will tell us to choose right one . YouTube has become a very useful ,free ,convenient ,user-friendly , online learning platform. We can watch our lessons as per our convenient timings.
5) Learning through educational apps, programs—
For the last few years, there have been so many educational apps available like BYJU’s,Vedantu ,Udemy , Linda ,Khan academy ,TED, Goodreads, Duolingo , Studyblue EDX and many more . Some of them like byju’s , Udemy are providing complete package of each standard’s all subjects in depth teaching .It makes even homeschooling possible if we decide to opt for it.
Their fees might appear higher but quality of learning and experience is outstanding covering every single detail in interactive manner using graphic designing and other handy tools make them worth of every penny. Also there are some free apps and courses but you have to compromise with the quality and overall experience.
3)Types of online learning -teaching platforms—
Before covid-19 Pandemic most of the people were not much familiar with online meeting, learning platforms and even about video calls and video conferencing but these things were in practice and gradually being improved from user experience and reviews.
As soon as the lockdown started and people were stranded at their homes, they desperately felt the need of online platforms which were already available. In the beginning zoom app proved handy for all you want. Right now it has been used by many. Slowly other platforms like Google meet ,YouTube, Facebook live ,Microsoft teams started becoming popular.
They have made online learning ,meeting very easy , convenient , cost effective and time-saving. At the same time, they provide lot of facilities like video chat , file transfer, share , recording , large user base and the most important thing is that most of them are available free of cost. Users have to pay only for data charges which are very less in comparison with the help they provide.
We just can’t imagine how big job is being done by this platform by saving millions from infection and even precious lives. These platforms have completely reduced the need to go out in crowded places. The whole world is thankful for the job being done by these online learning platforms.
4)Advantages of online learning -teaching (Education process)—
1) It is the best alternative to the physical presence of students and teachers in school, colleges and educational institutions.
2) It has saved millions from getting infected by covid-19.
3) It has provided interactive learning platforms by using pictures , audios, videos and presentations.
4) It has solved bythe problem of travelling for education, business meetings and most of the other purposes and saved time as well as money.
5) Students and teachers can learn and teach from their homes.
6) Burden of school uniforms ,school bags ,travelling bullying has been drastically reduced.
7) Parents are comfortable for having their children in front of them during pandemic and taking their lessons at home.
8) Teachers can explain the content of lesson properly and students can easily understand it as they don’t have others to disturb them.
9) Homeworks, assignments and other project works can be explained and assigned properly.
10) All the interactions and lectures are being recorded and they can be used for revision and re- learning and for doing more study.
11) You have an option of chosing right courses on right platforms as per your convenient timings , suitable to your budget.
5)Disadvantages of online learning and teaching process—
1) The problem of internet connectivity and proper range is very serious posing great restrictions in learning process.
2) Everybody can’t afford using smartphones, laptops for online learning . It is very costly set up.
3) Students of very young age are online for hours. It is affecting their eyes, mental and physical health up to large extent.
4) Parents have to stay with their wards during online lectures leaving their domestic duties.
5) Students tend to use internet resulting in the distraction from the study and indulging in internet surfing ,online gaming and chatting.
6) Physical presence for teaching- learning process cannot be replaced hundred percent by online teaching- learning platforms.
7) Students fail to understand all the concepts in detail and they can’t do science practicals and other field trainings and activities online.
8) Teachers fail to explain everything properly through online platforms.
9) The learning environment is not created by online learning process.
10) Students are being addicted to interactive and colourful screen and missing physical activities It is causing health problems and might result in serious problems in future.
6)Is online learning the need of time especially during during covid-19 pandemic?
Many people will find many advantages and disadvantages of this online teaching- learning process but everybody will accept that online learning -teaching is the need of present time.
Especially when there are lot of restrictions and dangers to go out. Hence there is no better alternative right now. We will definitely avoid educational losses of the students during lockdown.To accessories for online learning
Even we will overcome this pandemic situation in few months but these online platforms have opened variety of opportunities for learning and doing various courses available worldwide.
So education field has been blessed permanently by the development of online teaching -learning platforms.
From the above discussion, we can conclude that online teaching -learning process is the best alternative for this pandemic situation restrictions. Even in future , we can use it in our favour by avoiding unnecessary travels.
We can use these platforms to get connected with the whole world and it will certainly help to make this world the better place but close monitoring is necessary to avoid its misuse. Do inform us what you think about this topic through your comments.
From team learnhatkey.com